The Expository Thoughts blog had these thoughts on preaching:
1. Preaching great sermons should not be a cover for poor shepherding (1 Peter 5).
2. Beware of preaching that is not applied personally.
3. Beware of preaching that is not applied publicly.
4. Don’t make an idol out of a theological system especially if it prevents you from making specific conclusions about special issues in the text.
5. Preaching that encourages pure doctrine to the exclusion of pure religion is sub-christian (James 1:27).
6. Learn to preach in weakness, fear and in much trembling….the opposite is a kamikaze pride (1 Cor. 2:3).
7. Show the congregation that your preaching is dependent on the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 2:4-5).
8. Learn to embrace anything (e.g., “thorn”) that will keep you from exalting yourself (2 Cor. 12:5-7).
9. Don’t hide behind terms like “missional” and “contextualization” in order to justify worldly desires and carnality (2 Cor. 1:12).